Support for Feminists With Anxiety
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)?

5 posters

Go down

Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)? Empty Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)?

Post by northstar1991 Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Awhile ago I came across this article by feminist Courtney Martin (http://feministing.com/2011/06/28/you-go-shy-girl/). It talks about how, in an effort for girls and women not to be seen as quiet and demure (part of traditional femininity), feminism may be leaving out those of us who consider ourselves to be shy and/or introverted. While the article only focused on girls, the same idea can be applied to guys. Of course it is important to be able to express your ideas, but I believe that quiet people can lead as well as someone who is more outgoing. So what are your thoughts on the article? Do you ever find it challenging to be a feminist who is also quiet?

northstar1991

Back to top Go down

Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)? Empty Re: Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)?

Post by Ventura Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 pm

I don't like labels. I just know you can be WHOEVER you want to be, no mater i your shy, anxious, depressed. Whatever you want to be, and it doesn't even have to be labeled, as long as you have those beliefs.

Would I find it challenging to attend/ join in on railys? Most likely, yes. But if I'm determined, and my will/ passion is strong enough and lit enough for it, i believe step by step it could help with anxiety, motivation, and focus.

There are so much other things you can do or promote without being "social" though.

Ventura
Ventura

Back to top Go down

Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)? Empty Re: Does feminism make room for shy and introverted girls (and guys)?

Post by Trendsetter Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Yes, shy people can still express their views by writing blogs, books, signing petitions etc. and still gain recognition.

Trendsetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Otherside Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Trendsetter wrote:Yes, shy people can still express their views by writing blogs, books, signing petitions etc. and still gain recognition.

This, I guess. I've never really been one for big protests, and I probably never will stand up with a megaphone and yell out my views. But, I guess we can express ourselves.

Otherside

Back to top Go down

Post by ...Thursday is pathetic Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 am

As far as general protesting goes, I feel guilty that despite having strong political views on many issues, I haven't really been a part of too much activism. I guess if I had friends that were into it I would be fine, but the idea of joining groups and not knowing anyone puts me off (even though these people would almost certainly be friendly). Hopefully next year at uni I can make more of an effort.....
For Feminism, yes, it does affect me. For example, I have chosen the module "Feminism and Society" for next year, and I can't help feeling a little anxious about it, and hoping that there are at least a few other guys in the class. It's silly but I am worried I won't be welcome or that my being there will be seen as strange. I almost didn't pick the module because of this, but in the end I made myself choose it because it will be so so interesting and covers all kinds of gender topics.
...Thursday is pathetic
...Thursday is pathetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down